WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Regeneration of Session Tokens (from the OWASP Guide)

From: Pilon Mntry <pilonmntry () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 23:10:50 -0700 (PDT)

Mark,

Basically what you are
talking about is using XSS or
something like it as a form of session fixation.

Actually I was talking about session hijacking, but I
guess you meant that too. :)

I have never agreed with the OWASP guide or similar
recommendations by
others to regenerate tokens.

I am sure you would I agree that regenerating
sessionids after privilege changes (such as
successfull logins and logouts) is helpful.

transaction, you can simply invalidate the current
session and force the
user to login as part of the transaction.

And I believe your saying is very close to my
alternative solution of prompting user for a another
password before the transaction and session
regeneration takes place.

-pilon