WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Regeneration of Session Tokens (from the OWASP Guide)

From: Pilon Mntry <pilonmntry () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 05:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

 In the great owasp guide there's a sub-topic on
session management, and it goes like;

"
To reduce the risk from session hijacking and brute
force attacks, the HTTP server can seamlessly expire
and regenerate tokens. This shortens the window of
opportunity for a replay or brute force attack.
How to protect yourself
This control is suited for highly protected sites.
Token regeneration should be performed:
 • prior to any significant transaction
"

I'm aware that in the guide, regenerating the session
id is meant to solve another problem: "to shorten the
window of opportunity for a replay or brute force
attack".

But I just wanted to share this:

If I understand the word "prior" correctly, this may
result in another way to steal session ids in an xss
vulnerable application.

If the attack code can't get the cookie via
"document.cookie" (HttpOnly), it may use XST.

If the attack code can't get the cookie via XST (TRACE
closed on servers and on proxies), then it may employ
(XMLHTTPRequest) GET request with a "significant
action form" as the target URL. Then application
returns the new sessionid prior the significant action
and attack code grabs the session id.

So, alternatively, we may regenerate sessionid
"immediately after" the critical action for which
another password is being asked in the "critical
action form".

-pilon