WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Https sniffer

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:53:32 +0200

Phalak, Kashmira Vijay wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions! But most of these products suggested need
the private key to be supplied for decrypting the SSL traffic. The HTTP
Analyzer which I initially tried, does not need the private key to be
supplied and does a good job of decrytping SSL traffic. Can anyone
explain to me how this works? But the HTTP analyzer only sniffs the
traffic in the current user session. This behavior is different from
that of ethereal when I set it in promiscuous mode. Here, I can see
traffic from other machines on the same ether segment. I may be wrong
here, but I don't see this in either ClearWatch,ssldump or ngrep.
Thanks,
Kashmira.

Hi Kashmira,

The way that the tool that you have been using works is by accessing the WinInet debugging interfaces, and getting the information as it is decrypted by the MS SSL libraries. This is possible without the server's private key, because it is accessing the client's negotiated symmetric keys, I guess.

Of course, if you were to use any other non-WinInet SSL libraries (e.g. OpenSSL, FireFox, etc) HTTP Analyser would not be able to do anything at all.

So, the significant difference between HTTP Analyser, and the other tools that have been suggested, is that HTTP Analyser is not actually sniffing the network at all, whereas the other recommendations do (and hence CAN support a promiscuous mode).

If you want to perform promiscuous network sniffing, AND decrypt SSL communications that you collect in this way, you WILL need the servers' private keys. There is no other way (short of "breaking" SSL).

The alternative, if you can convince the other parties on the network to use you as a proxy, is to set up something like DSniff's SSL MITM, or WebScarab, and intercept the connections. This would enable you to get the clear text comms for a number of clients on the network, at the cost of a certificate error pop-up in each client.

Regards,

Rogan