WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Https sniffer

From: Garth Somerville <therealgarth () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Kashmira:

Perhaps you are referring to this product or something
similar?

http://www.ieinspector.com/httpanalyzer/

What this product does, hooking into IE, is not
normally called "sniffing" which is, I think, what the
rest of us were responding to.

If you only need to analyze HTTPS traffic from your
own computer you would have several options in
addition to the above tool ranging from simply using
liveHttpHeaders for Firefox or IEWatch for IE to a
proxy like Paros.

If you need to intercept and decrypt SSL conversations
on the network, you cannot do it without the server's
private key and the ability to capture all the
packets. And even then there are cases where it still
cannot be done (ephemeral keying).

If there were a way to intercept and decrypt SSL
traffic without the server's private key, it would not
be much of a "secure" socket layer and no one would be
using it.

-Garth

--- "Phalak, Kashmira Vijay" <kphalak () verisign com>
wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for your suggestions! But most of these
products suggested need
the private key to be supplied for decrypting the
SSL traffic. The HTTP
Analyzer which I initially tried, does not need the
private key to be
supplied and does a good job of decrytping SSL
traffic. Can anyone
explain to me how this works? But the HTTP analyzer
only sniffs the
traffic in the current user session. This behavior
is different from
that of ethereal when I set it in promiscuous mode.
Here, I can see
traffic from other machines on the same ether
segment. I may be wrong
here, but I don't see this in either
ClearWatch,ssldump or ngrep.

Thanks,