WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Languages/platforms used for Web apps. Any stats?

From: Mamading Ceesay <mamading () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 22:57:30 +0100

On 6/25/05, Mark Susol Ultimate Creative Media
<msusol () ultimatecreativemedia com> wrote:

For this reason I prefer to make my own custom php applications so my code
isn't out there to be studied. However for something like a forum, you kinda
have to hope those programming are keeping up with this unintended
consequence of having their code hanging out there for all to study.

Sometimes is better knowing you paid for that security rather than going the
open source route. With that said, I'm still using some stuff I bought that
is in php and the code is out there enough to be studied.

<delurk>
This sounds disturbingly like an argument for "security through
obscurity".  I would hope the denizens of a list devoted to Web
Application Security would know better than this.

I'm sure the likes of Bruce Schneier and the OpenBSD crew would have
some choice words if faced with these sentiments.
<relurk>

--
Mamading Ceesay

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change
something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller