WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Languages/platforms used for Web apps. Any stats?

From: Steve McCullough <website () showmethesmut com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 07:33:30 +0000

Mark Susol Ultimate Creative Media wrote:

I don't think the problem so much is that the language is easy to
learn or that these folks deployed insecure programming, but that the
code is OPEN and you can STUDY it and find the vulnerabilities at your
leisure. And with the  success of google, once you find an exploit its
so easy to find all the sites using the same software most likely
several versions outdated and its really easy pickings. I subscribe to
this list just to get the heads up on anything I'm using off the open
source shelf.

OK, I'll bite.

The open source element works both ways, however. For example, if I've
implemented an open-source BB system and a new vulnerability is
published, at least I can grep the code for vulnerabilities --- and fix
them myself if no one else has. With a proprietary solution, on the
other hand, I'm stuck thinking either "Gee, I sure hope I'm not
vulnerable" or "I hope they send me a patch."

Steve

--
Steve McCullough
web developer, S.M.U.T. Magazine > www.showmethesmut.com