WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: The Santy worm and Application Security

From: Paul Laudanski <zx () castlecops com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:27:27 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Ofer Shezaf wrote:

I would argue such as effectiveness measurement. In web site security
catching many is not difficult as so many automatic exploitation
attempts are carried out. The real problems are:
(a) Catching zero day attacks (those that you don't have a specific
signature for)
(b) Catching targeted attacks that points specifically at your web site.

Which is why in terms of application security a multiple step approach can
be ideal in the real world:

- secure program practices
- filter on regular expressions
- use white or black lists
- filter against signatures

To help against zero days, well, one approach might be to take a look at
what characters are allowed, and which ones are not.  This is where the
sysadmin must know the site being administered, and the requirements of
the server(s).

Continuing from my earlier examples, for some admins filtering the tick
(') might not work, but then again on others it is never required.
However, on those sites that might need it, the tick might be restricted
to a single argument -- which begs the question, filter the tick site wide
except for that single argument at which point that argument should get
sanitized.

mod_security, from a web security application perspective does a great job
at this, and is open source to boot.

In other words - for you as a security expert with application knowledge
it is a great solution. For an organization it is impractical.

Not necessarily.  mod_security is in full force at CastleCops.  Thanks to
the articles I put up there, I've been contacted by organizations (private
and government) thanking me for the code and how effective it has been in
keeping their organizations up and running.

I for one like the open source tools available in the market place today.
It permits anyone to use them immediately without having to wait for
purchase orders.  In the case of these PHP worms, it enabled many
organizations to install a tool right away which brought their servers
back online.

Then the most important step, is to ensure code is secure, always, keeping
that in mind.

Happy new year, 2005.

--
Regards,

Paul Laudanski - Computer Cops, LLC. CEO & Founder
CastleCops(SM) - http://castlecops.com
Promoting education and health in online security and privacy.