WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: The Santy worm and Application Security

From: "Ofer Shezaf" <Ofer.Shezaf () breach com>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:24:25 -0500

I must point you to an interesting thread in bugtraq (see excerpts
below) - as you can see, people writing rules for mod_security
understand that the rules are limited to a specific worm but usually
cannot handle potential variants.

"Santy" and "phpInclude" emphasize the need for real application
security measurements such as code review, application layer scanning
and real time application layer security. Simpler IPS system such as
mod_security (as well as commercial products that cost a lot of money
such as CheckPoint Web Intelligence, IntruShield or Proventia) cannot
effectively handle such attacks.

~ Ofer

From Bugtraq:
On Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Andy Fewtrell Wrote

I was writing some new rules for mod_security
(http://www.modsecurity.org)
to try and trap other methods that this sanity worm might try to
exploit
later. Unfortunately the ideas I came up with are slightly worrying
with
how easily this worm could actually spread. Right now the sanity worm
uses
perl and wget to download code from remote servers but this could be
changed to a few other methods. These methods have not *yet* been used
but
I'm sure it is only time until there is one.

While this worm
currently uses perl it can be obviously re-written to avoid obvious
mod_security (and other) rules. I could write proof of concept
versions of
the sanity worm but I feel it would be better to leave this out of the
post.