WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web security breach changes the lives of 119 people

From: Cory Foy <Cory.Foy () mobilehwy com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:20:08 -0500

Ed Tracy @ Aspect Security wrote:
Then let me ask you. If Harvard HAD done more...and the applicant tried the url manipulation without any success, would that diminish their culpability? No, I don't think so. They still tried to do something wrong. Kinda like our attempted murder charge in the criminal justice system.

Actually, I view it as someone walking through a parking lot trying car doors to see if they are unlocked. They know what they are doing is wrong, and if it is locked, well then no one will really know. If it isn't locked, then it doesn't seem as bad as actually breaking a window, because the opportunity is there, and the vehicle seems to be in the same shape as in when you left it.

I think paralleling this to an attempted murder charge might be a little harsh.

Cory