WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web security breach changes the lives of 119 people

From: "Ed Tracy @ Aspect Security" <ed.tracy () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:36:47 -0500

Michael,

Thanks for your professionalism in your response. I'd like to articulate my point (comments inline).

Michael Silk wrote:

Ed,

I guess you mean "hacking" as in performing an illegal action; not
"hacking" (as the original intent of the word -
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/meaning-of-hack.html).
No, neither. I used hacking in the layman's sense. "Doing something unethical on an IT system."

In this specific case I don't think there is enough info out about
exactly what instructions were given to the students who did the URL
modification.
That's true. And in cases like this people typically make some assumptions so that they can have a discussion on a concrete topic. I think it's fair to assume (or that it's known) that the applicants:

1. knew there was a date in the future upon which they would be receiving notification
2. identified themselves to the system
3. modified url parms to attempt to access something in the site that wasn't normally in their interface -OR- 4. submitted a published url that they knew would offer them information that wasn't supposed to be available until a future date

If you don't agree with this case description, let me know. But if you don't, then we may not have anything interesting to argue about.

It's such a trivial thing (modifying the URL) that it is
a little unreasonable for the person performing the action to know
what they were doing was 'wrong'.
This is exactly what I was referring to when I used the term, "warped." This is not a trivial thing to people who are not familiar with the Web. As further illustrated by your analogy to finding $5 on the sidewalk, I think your expertise has you thinking that this is so easy that the person just stumbled across it. I feel strongly that regardless of how easy it was to stumble across it, the person still knew that they were trying to access a part of the website that would provide them data that they weren't supposed to have access to. (If you disagree with this, please be specific, as it is this assumption that I base the rest of my argument on.)

Considering they knowingly made this action, they are culpable in my book, period. And yes, the vendor/school, whoever, should bear some responsibility, too. But this is independent of the applicants culpability. I've heard brought this up a lot and most people in the industry only want to talk about what Harvard should have done and should do. Outside our industry, people focus on the individual's culpability. What ever happened to independence of components?

You suggest that if Harvard had done more, or less, it wouldn't
'diminsh their culpability'. Well I couldn't disagree more. As
Then let me ask you. If Harvard HAD done more...and the applicant tried the url manipulation without any success, would that diminish their culpability? No, I don't think so. They still tried to do something wrong. Kinda like our attempted murder charge in the criminal justice system.

-- Ed

* Edward Tracy, CISSP *
ed.tracy () aspectsecurity com <mailto:ed.tracy () aspectsecurity com>
(443) 745-6270 (cell)
(301) 604-4882 (office)
(781) 240-7886 (fax)
*Aspect Security™*