WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Smart card proposal

From: Hugo Fortier <hugo.fortier () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:42:49 -0500

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:39:08 +0100, Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net> wrote:
Rishi Pande wrote:
    I like Rogan's solution. But, I think by putting these card-readers
at internet cafes (a rarity in my town - and I stay about an hour away
from NYC) you are basically circumventing the solution that online
banking offers- ease of use - it's 4 am let me go and check my bank
account.

The idea behind installing them in the Internet Cafe's is that people
who are mobile can expect to find at least one smart card reader at an
Internet Cafe, sot hey don't have to worry about whether the place they
will be at can use their smart card . . .

Could you trust a smart card reader found in a Internet Cafe? People
are doing fake ATM front end to steal your NIP and magnetic strip,
don't you think they could do a smart card reader with a backdoor?

You should't be trusting a Internet Cafe computer to access your
online bank account anyway...

And the consequence of getting your online banking account compromised
are a lot worst than getting your debit card comprimised...

Hugo