WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Smart card proposal

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:47:11 +0100

Hi folks,

As part of the discussion recently about phishing, I was thinking about how a hardware token (and a smart card in particular) could be used to secure web transactions.

It also struck me that more and more banks are issuing credit or debit cards with smart-card capabilities.

This led to the thought that banks could use the smart-card capabilities (via a smart-card reader) to store a private key and SSL client certificate, which would be used to authenticate their clients when they wish to perform internet banking.

Positive consequences:

The bank is performing the same effective authentication as they do at their ATM's. Something you have (the card) and something you know (the PIN). This may or may not be the same PIN as would be used in an ATM. This would be a policy decision, made by the issuing bank.

Policy decisions can be enforced on the smart card, because the smart card can run applications. So policies such as PIN complexity, lockout, etc can all be specified by the bank, and enforced. This is platform independent, browser independent, CPU independent, etc.

Users already have an idea of how to protect their credit cards. They know what the implications are if they get lost or stolen. They tend to keep them in a safe place. Even if they do get compromised, the card is still protected by a PIN, and is effectively unusable.

ATM's mostly already have infrastructure to read and communicate with smart cards. Users can use ATM's as self-service terminals to set up their internet banking. e.g. the user enters their PIN at the ATM, selects Internet Banking, Register. The ATM instructs the smart card to generate a private key, takes a copy of the public key, generates a CSR, requests the Bank's CA to sign the cert, and installs the cert into the smart card. It then asks the user to choose a PIN for the certificate, so that it cannot be accessed without it. At the same time, it links the certificate to the same accounts that the user can access via the ATM, so that Internet banking is effectively seamless.

If the user forgets the certificate PIN, and tries to guess it more than ${policy} times, the smart card locks it out. Then, the user can go to an ATM, enter his ATM PIN, request a certificate PIN reset, the ATM then supplies a (card specific) PIN Unlock Key, which allows the user to enter a new PIN for the cert.

The certificate lifetime would be the same as the validity period of the credit card. When the bank issues a new credit card, the user should go back to an ATM, and reregister for Internet banking. Alternatively, if the user is already registered, the bank can pregenerate a key and certificate in the card, register it with Internet Banking, and provide the user with the certificate PIN in the same way as they do with the ATM PIN.

Depending on the bank's policy, the user may be able to change the PIN at their own computer. This would however mean that the bank would not be in a position to know what the current certificate PIN actually is. An alternative is to require the PUK before allowing PIN changes. The PUK could only be provided by the ATM . . . allowing the bank to obtain a copy of the certificate PIN . . .

Negative Implications:

If the credit card is stolen, there is a risk of access via the Internet as well. This may or may not already be an issue, if users can self-register using their credit card PIN. (possible in some countries)

Using the smart card at a merchant might allow the merchant to issue additional internet banking transactions while the card is inserted in the slot, and the PIN has been entered into their card processing device. I think the close coincidence of the fraudulent transactions with a legitimate transaction would be suspicious. Note that it would (should) not be possible to delay the transaction until after the card is taken out. (Question: If I connect using a client cert, establish a SSL shared session key, then remove the smart card, can I continue to use that session key?) Also, most merchants do not have access to reprogram their card terminals, this is generally done by the supplier.

Session Riding:

One thing that I have ignored up until now is the issue of session riding, where an attacker makes use of the fact that the SSL connection is transparently created.

One thing mitigating against that is the requirement for the user to have entered their PIN to access the certificate on the card. It may be possible to set a timeout on the card, so that the PIN must be reentered to continue transacting.

Thoughts? Comments?

Rogan
--
Rogan Dawes

*ALL* messages to discard () dawes za net will be dropped, and added
to my blacklist. Please respond to "lists AT dawes DOT za DOT net"