WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Smart card proposal

From: Rogan Dawes <discard () dawes za net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:39:08 +0100

Rishi Pande wrote:
I like Rogan's solution. But, I think by putting these card-readers at internet cafes (a rarity in my town - and I stay about an hour away from NYC) you are basically circumventing the solution that online banking offers- ease of use - it's 4 am let me go and check my bank account.

The idea behind installing them in the Internet Cafe's is that people who are mobile can expect to find at least one smart card reader at an Internet Cafe, sot hey don't have to worry about whether the place they will be at can use their smart card . . .

I was not suggesting that the user should NOT have a smart card reader at their home PC, too.

What you are proposing is no different from installing more and more ATM centers where you are sure of the security of the hardware.

No, if the user wants to check their balance at 4am, they use the smart card reader already attached to their PC. The banks would just be motivated to donate a few smart card readers to the internet cafes, to ensure that their users can use their smart cards whereever they go.

And they are a lot cheaper than an ATM, for sure!

Also imagine the help desk calls that the banks will get if this does go into place. Not sure about the banks at your end but most banks in the US are not too much into the business of becoming help-desks.

Fair comment.

Rogan
--
Rogan Dawes

*ALL* messages to discard () dawes za net will be dropped, and added
to my blacklist. Please respond to "lists AT dawes DOT za DOT net"