WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Whitepaper "SESSION RIDING - A Widespread Vulnerability in Today's Web Applications"

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:15:13 +0100

* Joseph Miller:

Besides this, there are many websites that have a redirect script
somewhere on their website.  So the attacker could send the link
http://www.website.com/redirect?url=/actions/dobadthing which would
often satisfy that requirement.  Your solution also does not address
such problems as an attacker placing malicious urls inside of a web
app such as a forum, which would be on the same website that the
attacker was attempting to ride on.  This also would satisfy your
url requirements.

It's possible to write the Referer: filters in a way that only permit
allowed state transitions.  I've implement this for Mailman (using
Apache rewrite rules), and the approach should work a broader class of
applications.  I agree that it could be challenging in some cases
where the same page shows untrusted content and offers some form field
(think of a guestbook, but with more sensitive data).