WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Whitepaper "SESSION RIDING - A Widespread Vulnerability in Today's Web Applications"

From: "Yvan G.J. Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:40:21 -0600

This name for the issue is misleading; this is a state management
issue combined with a session management issue.

Although there is an attempt to separate this type of an attack,
it is still a session hijacking attack, even though the attacker
is taking a different approach; the attacker still manages to
acquire the ability to execute a request using the original users.

The core of this type of a vulnerability is a lack of state
management; the token mechanism that you refer to on page
14 is a common state management technique.

The application should emit a unique (i.e. random) token for
each request in combination with the session identifier.  If
the succeeding request does not have the same token, then the
application should take the appropriate action.  This is a
crucial step in state management, as it becomes possible to
enforce state transitions using this method.

The issue is a serious one; I have seen this many times during
code reviews and application pen-tests.  The important concern
here is educating web developers so that they understand that
even in a "stateless" protocol, maintaining an application state
in a secure fashion is crucial.  Any type of exploit that takes
advantage of this type of issue can be corrected by implementing
a state management mechanism (typically these are more robust
than a page token system), and then ensuring that confirmation
is crucial, verified (i.e. CAPTCHA) process.

The "Session Riding" vulnerability is not just an issue of immature
 web technology; it will affect any stateless protocol which does
not have a strong method of enforcing state compliance.  It is
certainly the case that this can be addressed by implementing this
type of functionality at the framework/api level with a development
platform, however there are a number of technical issues associated
with the technology.

The paper is a good introduction to the issue, but perhaps the title
is misleading as to the nature of the issue.