WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web Application Penetration Testing Methodology Patent

From: Matt Kenigson <president () sheergenius com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:28:27 -0600

A.D. Douma wrote:

Would appear we all are a bit to late. And besides, there is always the
hacker and open source community we can rely on to publish the tools needed.
Sanctum will not spend $$ on civil suits unless they feel threatened.
If patent law is like copyright law (which it may not be), then Sanctum will have to defend their patent against any and all infringers if they want to maintain the patent. Again, I don't know if that is true but if it is, the broad nature of who they would have to sue alone would make the patent useless other than for show to investors. It would be prohibitively expensive if Sanctum were to pursue all of those lawsuits. That is, assuming the first one didn't scare everyone off (I don't think it would).