Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Disclosure

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler () us ibm com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:33:21 -0600

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote on 06/08/2007 10:10:14 AM:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:21:06 PDT, Jonathan Leffler said:
Wouldn't the person be able to do those things anyway?  So, is there
an
actual risk of exploitation by someone unauthorized?  If the person
installing has the privileges to abuse their system and then subverts
an
installer into abusing their system, how much of a problem is it
really?

The *real* attack vector here is "Can you, as an outsider, get the
sysadmin
to run a installer script that *looks* OK at first glance, but ends up
doing something untoward by abusing the setup.exe that the sysadmin sees
in the script but doesn't actually look closely at"?

export LICENSE_KEY=`cat license.file`;
setup.exe

is a good way to get a blob of binary data into the environment without
too much scrutiny... now if you can get setup.exe to branch to it.. ;)

The *other* corner case to consider - the person has the privs, but is
untrustworthy, but wants to plant a backdoor for a co-conspirator
without
the command audit trail showing anything untoward.  "Hey, I didn't do
it,
I just ran setup.exe to install the program.  Take a look at the audit
trail,
that's the only thing I ran..."

Interesting side-light - thanks.

On Windows, I don't think I've ever done things like specially setting the
environment before running an installer - certainly not where I don't
trust the source of the information.  Come to that, I don't do it on Unix
either.

The untrustworthy trusted insider is very difficult to deal with -
regardless.  It's one reason why I didn't say "some security problems are
too small to be worth fixing".  In a world with infinite resources, they'd
all be fixed.  However, they do have to be prioritized, and some security
issues are more serious than others (and non-security issues need to be
addressed too - and (too often?) have priority over security).  A flaw
that permits unauthenticated remote machine takeover is far more serious
than a flaw that 'only' affects the 'installer only with cooperation from
user'.  I'd prioritize the unauth-remote flaw over the installer flaw
every time, for multiple releases if necessary.  Ideally, the installer
flaw outlined originally would be fixed too, but I could imagine that lots
of other things get prioritized higher - and resource limitations could
prevent it from being fixed fast.

--
Jonathan Leffler (jleffler () us ibm com)
STSM, Informix Database Engineering, IBM Information Management Division