Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Disclosure

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:10:14 -0400

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:21:06 PDT, Jonathan Leffler said:
Wouldn't the person be able to do those things anyway?  So, is there an
actual risk of exploitation by someone unauthorized?  If the person
installing has the privileges to abuse their system and then subverts an
installer into abusing their system, how much of a problem is it really?

The *real* attack vector here is "Can you, as an outsider, get the sysadmin
to run a installer script that *looks* OK at first glance, but ends up
doing something untoward by abusing the setup.exe that the sysadmin sees
in the script but doesn't actually look closely at"?

export LICENSE_KEY=`cat license.file`;
setup.exe

is a good way to get a blob of binary data into the environment without
too much scrutiny... now if you can get setup.exe to branch to it.. ;)

The *other* corner case to consider - the person has the privs, but is
untrustworthy, but wants to plant a backdoor for a co-conspirator without
the command audit trail showing anything untoward.  "Hey, I didn't do it,
I just ran setup.exe to install the program.  Take a look at the audit trail,
that's the only thing I ran..."