Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Vulnerability Disclosure

From: matt.steer () marstons co uk
Date: 5 Jun 2007 03:52:13 -0000

Hi Guys,

I have been playing around with a program and have discovered a bug that I have successfully leveraged into code
execution. I reported my findings to the vendor, not yet receiving a reply; this is the first time I have done this.

The bug is in an installer and malicious input is crafted then pasted into an input field which is copied into a buffer
of insufficient size. The conditions of the exploit seem a little extreme to me, but it still results in code
execution.

The fact that it is in an installer, hence most likely requiring Admin rights, and is a local exploit the risk of this
vulnerability being exploited seems low (too me, not being a risk assessor!) .

This brings me to my question;

Should all vulnerabilities be disclosed to a vendor (at least!) however high or low risk?

I’ve never been a believer in ‘Security through Obscurity’, but do the people think there comes a point when it may
just be a waste of time?

To be honest; I hope not!

Matthew Steer