Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: N00b questions :\

From: northern snowfall <dbailey27 () ameritech net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 20:42:16 -0500

GCC sometimes allocates more memory for each variable on the stack than
is actually requested. I have no idea exactly why and what is does --
but I assume it is some small optimization.

FYI, compilers (are supposed to) align memory to the requirement of the
underlying architecture. Most processors will throw an alignment_error
exception if an opcode attempts to pass an unaligned address to it.
This is done simply by padding the stack so that each auto variable is
given a properly aligned memory address.
Don
http://deadchildren.org/~north_