Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: N00b questions :\

From: northern snowfall <dbailey27 () ameritech net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 21:54:14 -0500

Oh yeah ... true. But isn't this 32-bit on the ia32? GCC 3.x allocates
way more than is neccessary to have it aligned. The vulndev-2 buffer of
90 bytes should be 92 right? But gcc allocates 108. Why does it do this
extra padding then?

92 (buf) + 4 (f1) + 4 (bfp) = 100
The extra eight is presumably optimization padding for
pending calls. However, I'm not definite on that, since,
I don't run GCC3 and can't currently view the generated asm
to say that is likely.
An older version (2.95.3 on NetBSD) seems to consistantly
add 20 octets. So, maybe it is just bad programming on the
part of the GNU team.
Don
http://deadchildren.org/~north_