Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: dictionary

From: dphull () ku edu
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:13:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, alex hajii wrote:

70% of passwords "break" under a good dictionary attack.

I read recently that using L0pthCrack on a 400Mhz PIII, it's possible to
try every lowercase alpha combination of seven characters in 20 days time.
I'm not sure how long this would take on a more modern processor, but this
should be enough to make everyone require longer passwords using more than
just lowercase alpha chars.

is anyone here familiar with a good dictionary database ?

Depending on the platform you're needing this for, consider L0pthCrack for
Windows from @stake.com. Back in the old days we used to use Crack on *nix
systems. If you google around, I'm sure you'll come up with plenty of
dictionaries for crack.

Good luck.

--
Dave Hull