Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSL Vulnerability and OpenSSH

From: Markus Friedl <markus () openbsd org>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:33:41 +0200

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 09:43:48AM -0700, nestler () speakeasy net wrote:
I see a call to d2i_X509() in scard-opensc.c. This function
uses the ASN.1 parser. I also see a call to PEM_read_PrivateKey()
in authfile.c. That function also uses the ASN.1 parser.
That last one gets used in a few different places in the SSH code (indirectly
via key_load_private*()).

yes, but that's a completely different problem.

Are you sure that none of these are problems? The SSH client
is installed setuid root in some places and it would load potentially
malicious private keys during the course of public key authentication without
an agent. It seems like that could be a problem (at least a local problem).

the ssh client should not be installed setuid root with 3.4p1.

if installed setuid root, then the ssh client should drop privilegues
before loading the private user keys.