Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: GIFs Good, Flash Executable Bad [Was: Plain text files in internet explorer]

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 08:13:21 -0700

This is one of my favorite vulnerabilities:
http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/1503
It's an overflow in the JPEG handler in Netscape.

I don't know of one for GIFs off the top of my head, but the same principle applies. If there's a viewer with a bug, then there is a possibility that it can be used to exploit the client.

                                                BB

Roland Postle wrote:
GIFs can't exploit your system. Flash files can, just like any executable.

This myth that static data files such as gifs, jpegs and zip files
/can't/ exploit your system really gets to me. Virus scanners continue
to scan only 'active' content, but some applications are in such
widespread use now that it's only a matter of time before a
vulnerability in say, Winzip's file handling, is exploited in a virus
that infects .zip files. Or a vulnerability in IE's jpeg module that
allows jpegs to carry viruses. It's not 'just like any executable', but
it's not automatically safe either.