Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: GIFs Good, Flash Executable Bad [Was: Plain text files in internet explorer]

From: "Dom De Vitto" <dom () DeVitto com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 23:59:59 +0100

Right on.

And I thought about this attack vector back in, ooooh, '93 (!)
(back in the days when people said:
  "you *can't* catch a virus from just reading an email!"
 if they only knew what we know now.... :-( )

Yep, a datafile is just like interpreted pseudo code, no different
to a flash file.  I do think that that attack vector had been
checked over to death, but then why does a particular .gif cause
such woes for IE, as discussed in another thread....?

Dom De Vitto