Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

MacOS X 10.1.4 MAC Address Spoofing

From: "Juan M. Courcoul" <courcoul () campus qro itesm mx>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 01:11:36 -0500

I was recently discussing how MAC addresses can be spoofed in Ethernet adapters and was told that "you can't spoof MAC addresses on MacOS X, especially with version 10.1.4". I've tried playing around with various ifconfig parameters with no success, but I may be overlooking something and spoofing might be doable. Then, also, there might be exploit code floating around to do this.

Is MacOS X spoof-proof out of the box ? Is it spoofable with additional software ? We may be setting up a student lab with the new e-Macs and I'd like to ascertain whether you can trust a Mac MAC address for authentication purposes or not.

Thanks,

J. Courcoul