Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: WinNT and previously used passwords

From: V <progman () netvision net il>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 10:35:16 +0200

This behavior is Password History and defined by the admin in the
Password Policies panel on NT/2k machines, stating how many previous
password should it remember, whether demand it's complexity, length, and
so on.

I'm not aware of any tools that extract these, and I have a feeling that
it is not possible.
In any case, if I had to guess on their whereabouts it would be
\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG (where registry keys are stored, including the
current SAM).

Its an interesting issue thought.

Cheers,
  - V.