Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: WinNT and previously used passwords

From: "Kit" <securityfocus () smallfoxx com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 19:28:35 -0500

It's been a while since I've looked at this, but if I remember correctly,
the password history is stored in the SAM with the account as NTLM hashes
(this of course all changes with Active Directory).  As such, if you're
going to go through the hashes to get the history, might as well just break
the current one rather than the history.

However, if you're asking if the passwords are stored in plan text or
reversible encryption, no.  The authentication system (the NT server) never
actually knows the password itself and therefore never stores it.  Rather,
the password is always transmitted in some hashed form of the NTLM hash of
the password itself.

This is where l0pht comes it.  It just brute forces the hash until it can
duplicate it.  Theoretically, when you crack the hash, you may not be using
the exact same password, but rather a statistical anomaly which just happens
to produce the same hash.

-K