Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: unprivileged user <jsbloom () adelphia net>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 18:20:12 -0400

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 17:06, zeno wrote:
Here is an idea.

Perhaps make windows do updates every 5 minutes in default install. Problem
solved.

- zeno () cgisecurity com

Aacckkk! No!  Windows XP Pro has the automatic update service enabled by
default and that is a BAD idea.  I want to know what patches are going to be
installed before they reach my production servers.  For one thing I don't
want to install things that don't apply to my system.  For another patches
are not always tested sufficiently (NT4 SP2 anyone?)

I would prefer that Microsoft leave this function out of the default install
and opt for "inform me when a patch is available" mode instead.  They can
even make it red and flashy and say "critical" but don't install it for me.