Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: "Johannes B. Ullrich" <jullrich () sans org>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:26:37 -0400 (EDT)

Think about it... how many of you have given your ISP your main email
address or phone number, so they can contact you in case of problems?  My
ISP gave me some sort of email address when I signed up for DSL, and I have
never once bothered to see if there is mail in there.  I have 5 of my own
addresses, domains, etc... thanks.  Since I have DSL, they do happen to
have my phone number.

At the very least, they do have your billing address ;-).

I send about 1000+ notifications a day from DShield. Sure,
most of them trigger autoreplies. But I find, that some
ISPs do appear to takes some action. (scans stop... maybe
they just change the IP of the scanner).

I usually get better responses from smaller ISPs and Universities.
Non-auto responses from large ISPs are an exception.

--
-------
jullrich () sans org                    Join http://www.DShield.org