Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Behavior analysis vs. Integrity analysis [was: Binary Bruteforcing]

From: "auto12012 auto12012" <auto12012 () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 20:04:42 +0000

> Most likely been done already. In the 70's. At the time when information
> security was a science.

No. That is not what I meant. To tell whether ftp daemon is working well
or not, you have to know what behavior is appropriate for ftp daemon, and
what is not. If FTP daemon can be fooled, without actually inserting
malicious code, to, say, change root's password, this is a vulnerability,
but it does not mean it exhibits some universal "vulnerability pattern" -
it just went off the track and jumped into another, perfectly valid for,
say, passwd utility. So what I am referring to are functional
specifications for this particular application, so all possible behavioral
tracks of the actual code can be compared to what we expect it to do. This
is expensive, lengthy and prone to design errors.

And again, I do not buy the argument that there's one fixed, static point
that does not depend on the execution path that can be considered a point
of vulnerability. No.

That is too bad. If you fail to understand that ftp daemon, in your example, is not vulnerable because it adopts a behavior that it is not excepted to follow, but simply because it compromises the integrity of an object (root password), with the lower integrity of the subject (non-root user), then I am disapointed. If I do not believe vulnerability is related to execution path, it is not because I believe it is not dependent of anything, but simply because I believe it is dependent of something that is of much higher abstraction: logic.

--
Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () bos bindview com] [security]
[http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};: