Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Firewall and IDS, (the second way).

From: "Pedro Quintanilha" <PQuintanilha () abril com br>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:41:19 -0300

My 2 cents about nIDS remote detection:

There are some methods... What I remember is:

- Session Reset (RSTs)

        This is the most simple way to detect a nIDS presence. By this way, you can also detect what kind of
connections (ports/application negotiation) will cause nIDS to send RST to close your sessions.
        Other possible scenario is, capturing RST packets, discover the nIDS position on the access topology. This is
possible by generating some traffic to target host, looking by TTL variations, and, if it not occurs, presenting "the"
behavior that cause nIDS to send the RST and looking what TTL is in this packet. Then you can guess "where" the nIDS is
on the packets path. Plus, you can guess what OS nIDS is running, by guessing its initial TTL.

- IP Ban (drops, ICMP unreachables)

        Another good method to detect the presence of a nIDS. Some administrators configure nIDSs to act on Firewalls
(f.e. OPSEC) to block any traffic from a IP that is source of a flood of many kinds of packets, like ICMP flood,
port-scans, etc. So, if you want to detect it, you just need to generate a flood, and capture the return packets. If
you suddenly start to receive ICMP port/host/net unreachabes, or stop to receive target host´s responses (ACKs, ICMP
Echo-Replies, etc), then you probably hit a nIDS.

- Reverse Lookups

        In this method you need to take "control" of DNSs that is Authority for the reverse of your IP block. So, just
send some packets whith common signatures (like CodeRed probes) and wait for the reverse lookups comming from the
target´s network (*or not*). You will realize three things: 1-That is a nIDS!! 2-The valid IP of nIDS!! 3-The nIDS TTL.

- Active scans

        This is a rare "proffessional" nIDS behavior, but can be made if programed by a curious administrator. Once
again, just send some common signatures, and capture the return. If it starts to scan you, you have now, and again, the
above 3 information, with another great plus: You have SYN packets sent by the nIDS and your OS guessing will be mutch
more accurate.

- Promiscuous-Mode Device Detection

        Technically possible, but rarely usefull. I think that it´s possible in a local network, where you know what is
the bandwidth behavior. Any other use, like using it on the very instable and non-guaranteed Internet connections is,
in my opinion, a great fantasy.

- Log Format in Admin´s e-mails to Security Lists

        One of the most "passive" and elegant methods. Some administrators LOVE to publish attack reports and/or
comments about attacks that they have detected. It can be a good thing, informing and helping each other, but it can be
very dangerous if the log format isn´t changed. Why? Well, each nIDS software has its own log format. Then, if you know
some formats, and know what lists the target´s network administrator subscribes, then you immediately know what nIDS he
has. The rest of detections can be made using the above (or other) methods.

Pedro Quintanilha
Segurança da Informação
Editora Abril s/a
pquintanilha () abril com br