Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Firewall and IDS, (the second way).

From: "Bryan Burns" <bburns () onesecure com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:44:28 -0800

One trick I've heard of is sending data on the network, then waiting to see
if someone does a DNS query against your IP (assuming you're in control of
the DNS server, or at least within sniffing distance), the assumption being
that it's a sniffer doing reverse-DNS of your IP before writing it to logs
or somesuch.  It's not exactly the most foolproof method, but it's better
than nothing.

Also, I'm not particularly convinced of the ping method.  I imagine that
there are so many other variables at play determining the round-trip ping
time that the delay due to sniffing would be lost in the noise.  Also, it
relies on having a database of ping times for all your machines, which is
difficult to imagine actually existing anywhere.

-Bryan