Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Firewall and IDS, (the second way).

From: "Bojan Zdrnja" <Bojan.Zdrnja () FER hr>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:35:57 +0100

We probably mis-understood each other :)

NIDS just sniffs on some network place. If you happen to flood some other
host, and NIDS can see that flood it can dynamically reconfigure router to
change it's ACLs and to cut you off. If everything is on the other side of
the network, meaning that you are somewhere in the Internet there is no way
that you'll see any packet that came from NIDS as it only:

1) sniffs the network
2) sends command to it's router

Just my 2 cents ...

Best regards,