Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Wireless Legality- Netstumbler and kin

From: Russell Handorf <rhandorf () mail russells-world com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:35:54 -0500

Hey all- question for ya'll that I haven't found any firm evidence with that raises a question of legality which concerns me greatly.

Of course all those in the wireless community (WLANs) know of a program called netstumbler, and also that it has the capability to map networks on a large scale (city wide and all). Well, is this not illegal pertaining to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act from 1986?

I can certainly understand that it is illegal for Joe Schmoe hacker to sit outside a WLAN and to circumvent any protective measures taken by the administrator (defaults include MAC Address and the infamously poor WEP), however is it illegal for Joe Schmoe hacker to sit outside and use the WLAN of a company that doesn't have ANY protective measures set in place?

According to the ECPA, it's illegal to intercept any/all wireless signals that are not intended for you, so would the people who are involved with these wireless mapping projects criminals or does this Act not apply in this situation at all?

Russ
Russell Handorf
oooo, shiney ::Wanders after it::

www.russells-world.com
www.philly2600.net

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Kristian Wilson
Nintendo Inc. 1989