Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: How to hide a file ?

From: "J. J. Horner" <jhorner () 2jnetworks com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:10:49 -0500

* H C (keydet89 () yahoo com) [020108 13:08]:
Udi,

There are many ways to go about this, beleive it or
not.  The question really becomes...who am I hiding
this file from?

I won't go into a lot of detail now...I don't want to
steal my own thunder, ie, my BlackHat presentation in
Feb...but Jose pointed out NTFS alternate data
streams.  You can hide data or even executables in ADS
and run them directly from the ADS itself.

But again, the question is...who are you hiding the
data from?  Hiding from a user or a (perhaps less than
knowledgeable) admin is pretty easy, w/o using the
hidden DOS attribute.  How about hiding it from a
forensics analyst?  Alternate data streams won't work
for this, and will only highlight your intentions.
But there are ways to go about this...so stay tuned.

For those of us on tight gubment subcontractor training
budgets making us unable to attend a conference of any kind,
can you give us a preview or tell us where it will be
online after BlackHat?

Thanks,
JJ

--
J. J. Horner
"H*","6a686f726e657240326a6e6574776f726b732e636f6d"

Freedom is an all-or-nothing proposition:  either we
are completely free, or we are subjects of a
tyrannical system.  If we lose one freedom in a
thousand, we become completely subjugated.