Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Complicated Disclosure Scenario

From: "Nick Lange" <nicklange () wi rr com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:34:51 -0600

One other point here[once again my opinion],
    While many licenses forbid reverse engineering etc, if you're license
becomes void for researching security vulnerabilities or disclosing them to
the public then you need to point out to whomever makes budgeting decisions
that this is not the product to use. Simply because their uncooperative
attitude will end up costing *your* business money cleaning up a hacker
attack if you follow the license! And for a business, that's all that
matters[imho]. (I would seriously have you or your boss compare an IT
cleanup of your servers after compromise to the cost of integrating a new
product into your production environment over the long term), the product
may be good but if you and other businesses are going to be screwed over by
an environment of immaturity, is it worth it?
once again my two cents,
nick