Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Civil Disobedience

From: "Ken Pfeil" <Ken () infosec101 org>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:38:02 -0400

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7376176.html?tag=prntfr pretty much
sums it up.

-----Original Message-----
From: Blue Boar [mailto:BlueBoar () thievco com]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 12:44 PM
To: vuln-dev () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Civil Disobedience

John Thornton wrote:

( Moderator: Please pass this though Blue Boar. Please just allow this
thread even if it is just for a day )

There ya go.

In case you have been living under a rock the past few weeks. You should
know that our civil liberties are under attack. Kevin Poulsen wrote:
"Hackers, virus-writers and web site defacers would face life
imprisonment
without the possibility of parole under legislation proposed by the Bush
Administration that would classify most computer crimes as acts of
terrorism."
( http://www.securityfocus.com/news/257, Hackers face life imprisonment
under 'Anti-Terrorism' Act). When you read the news this
morning you will
see that this bill was passed by the Senate.
(http://www.securityfocus.com/news/265, Senate passes terror bill).

I was under the impression that the bill that passed the Senate was
a slightly improved, though still insane, version that didn't make
hackers terrorists.

                                              BB