Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Civil Disobedience

From: Nikola Krgovic <nkrgovic () sezampro yu>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 19:32:07 +0200

On Monday 15 October 2001 06:21 pm, you wrote:
doesn't it strike anyone that this only encumbers those it is
intended to protect? no comment could be interpreted as everyone
being too paranoid to comment. well be careful what we wish for..

 Hate to sound ugly, but I just had to say this:

 I live in Serbia, Yugoslavia, who was considered a totalitarian country
under the dictatorship of Slobodan Milosevic. For a while we had some funny
laws, i.e. about university and press - all with the reason to protect the
regime.

 And here, they TRIED to pass along a similar "anti-terrorism" law. But, they
failed. Even with the fact that they had total control of the parlament, and
the fact that they COULD have easily passed it, they withdrew the proposal,
since they realized what kind of revolt would that cause.

 To be exact - this law was about "rebelion against state" (state - read
Regime) , also discussed in the form of anti-terrorism, and also in a
critical time for the nation, when we were all horrified about Serbs being
slaughtered on Kosovo. And it also denied it's citizents free speech,  under
severe punishment, etc.

 But, even here they couldn't do that.

 Think about that, and think about how much are your civil liberties valuable
to you? If they couldn't have done it in Serbia under Milosevic, and you let
them to it to you in "democracy", perhaps you should feel betrayed? And
perhaps you should do a little more that "Refuse to send logs"? Like lobby
out, write to your senator/congressmen, hold a rally....????

 Not that it's any of my concern, but think - next you may be forbidden to
use pgp? (Wander why? ;)) )

 Regards,
 Nikola