Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Civil Disobedience

From: Tom Arseneault <arsen () certaintysolutions com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:50:42 -0700 (PDT)

There's a similar parrell with "Hate Crimes". A white man punches a black
man, is it a hate crime or just two men having a fight? The law makes
sense only under certain circumstances (did the white man hit the black
man just becuase he's black?). As far as I know this is still being hashed
out in the courts but I think it handled on a case by case basis now. I
envision something similar happening for this law, some people would go
away for a inappropriotaly long time while ACLU lawyers argue their case
and over time cooler head will prevail and things will start to be handled
in a saner manner (3 strikes cases non-withstanding). Is this "shaking
out" period a good or a bad thing? I would argue that it should be
un-nessary and you would thing they (we/us/them) would learn from history
and craft their laws better in the first place.

What can we, as citizens do about current pending legislation? First I
would argue not to do anything blatantly illegel (under current law or
best practice) and usher in an age of Cyber-McCarthy'ism. Definately write
your congress-person, senator, ACLU, and any one who would listen and have
a stake in the outcome. State your arguments clearly, reasonably and at a
simple enough level that anyone can follow them, even people who arn't
Cyber-citizens.

Civil disobedience should be a last resort when other, better, avenues
have been exausted -and- we are sure of our correctness. We were able to
defeat (mostly) the Telecomunications act last decade because we presented
logical, sound and resonable arguments about why it was a bad thing to
enough people that counted. Sending notes around the internet informing
people that there is a problem is a good thing but arguing the case here
does nothing since we all mostly agree, preaching to the choir, send your
notes out to the law makers.

Also remember that like it or not, things have changed in the U.S. since
Sept.11. Many things we may not like, but can live with. Is this proposed
law something that we can live with for the public good? Or is it, as most
people are saying, a knee jerk reaction to fear and hysteria that needs to
be fought, again for the pubiic good?

My $.02 worth.

Tom Arseneault