Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Civil Disobedience

From: Geoff Galitz <galitz () chem berkeley edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:06:21 -0700

On Tuesday, October 16, 2001, at 05:50 AM, TD - Sales International Holland B.V. wrote:

I heared that the european parlement also have a motion on crypto. They want it so that the makers of the crypto software can also decrypt it easily. I wonder where the point of encrypting then goes...... Those things will leak if they don't leak they will be discovered elsewhere.. These are bullshit laws, just totally deny crypto then, in which case the underground will write
it and it will still be used.

Maybe it is time to put our money where out mouth is?  Is it time
to move this thread off of vuln-dev and to an appropriate list
that handles issues of (global) technology lobbying where we can
use the resources to actually solicit our representatives and
get organized?  If there isn't one, then is it time to create one?

I'm just a little concerned that folks will debate these issues to
death on vuln-dev (and whatever other lists) and then lack
the initiative to actually  voice their concerns where they
count; in congress, parliament, or wherever.

Does such a list or resource already exist?

-geoff

Geoff Galitz                      |   I am a Berkeley engineer;
College of Chemistry     |   I prefer my engineering simple,
UC Berkeley                    |   and my life complicated.