Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Dead Thread (civil disobedience)

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:13:30 -0700

OK, I just sent the last of them through.  Sorry I didn't get to it
last night, I've been ill for a couple of days.

As always, as moderator I get the last word.

I only remember not allowing a few messages.  Most of them
were flamish ("You got cracked by your own vuln? dumbass.")
or so far from the original thread, they were going somewhere
else.  I also stopped one which did little more than disparage
the US.  You can call that last one censorship if you like.
I did it for reasons of practicality.  Right now isn't the best
time to criticize the US, even if they deserve it.  Don't get me
wrong, I respect people's right to criticize whatever they want.
But if you think a hacker's rights thread is bad, try a
"US sucks" one right now.  I'm a US citizen.  I love my
country, I'm just not so thrilled about my government.

As several people point out (and with links, thanks.) For those
of us who live here, we have some ways to complain.  Maybe
that will do some good.  I urge you to at least try.
And again, I feel obliged to apologize to those in other countries
that these problems will ultimately affect, even though they
have no official channel to complain.  It smells like
taxation without representation.  Seems to me another
group of people had a problem with that before.

In any case, it has once again become obvious that the vuln-dev
subscribers come from many massively different points of view.
The one thing that they have in common is that they would like
to know about security problems.  So, I return you to your
normal moderation, hopefully leaving alone the question of
"should" for a while.

                                        Ryan