Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ARP hole in Windows NT/2000

From: "Tomas Nybrand IT" <tomas.nybrand () umea se>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 08:38:04 +0100

Hi

Well ARP poisoning canĀ“t be considered as something new, and I would
prefer to call it a vulnerability in the ARP protocol rather than a
windows vulnerability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Tomas Nybrand - UNIX Administrator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --   Bene qui latuit, bene vixit.   --

Grzegorz.Flak () comarch pl writes:
Hi,

I am not sure, if it is something new, but I think I found serious
vulnerability in ARP implementation in WindowsNT/2000 (I checked it on
NT4 SP6 and Win2000 SP1). The problem is when somebody whant to use "man
in the middle" technik to evesdrop your traffic. This example was done
with ettercap.
To fill protect I use 'arp -s' to specify correct MAC for default
geteway. So I had :
 10.10.1.4             00-b0-64-49-1e-01     static

then I use ettercap to capture my traffic to the gateway. Ofcourse I
could see my POP3 pass ;) Then I checked arp table once again:

 10.10.1.4             00-01-02-23-85-e1     static

The MAC is different (this is MAC of my linux box). I checked the same
on Solaris 2.7 and Linux 2.4.8 and they look unvulnerable.
Is this already known vulnerabilty (I found indication of similar
weakness, but that was on Windows 9x).

Any suggestions how to get rid off that.

Reagards