Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ARP hole in Windows NT/2000

From: Gigi Sullivan <sullivan () sikurezza org>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 10:58:14 +0100

Aiee :)

   Hello!

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 08:38:04AM +0100, Tomas Nybrand IT wrote:
Well ARP poisoning canĀ“t be considered as something new, and I would
prefer to call it a vulnerability in the ARP protocol rather than a
windows vulnerability.

   When you set up a static ARP entry, it shouldn't be possible to
   overwrite that by getting a new (maybe fake) ARP reply packet.

   So, IMHO, this is a WindowsNT/2000 vulnerability about ARP protocol
   implementation.

   I don't know how to fix that, maybe there're out some new SPs.

 Tomas Nybrand - UNIX Administrator
    --   Bene qui latuit, bene vixit.   --

bye bye

                        -- gg sullivan

--
Lorenzo Cavallaro       `Gigi Sullivan' <sullivan () sikurezza org>

Until I loved, life had no beauty;
I did not know I lived until I had loved. (Theodor Korner)