Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Word 2000 DDE error on Win2K

From: gryphonn () austarnet com au
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:36:10 +1000

Sender: Oliver Reeves <Oliver.Reeves () compucat com au>
Subject: Word 2000 DDE error on Win2K
Dated: 29 May 2001,
Time: 9:55

Morning All,

I'm not sure if this is a known bug in Word 2000, and I can't find out
right now as I don't have web access from my PC at work.

I can consistently crash Word 2000 using the following method:

1) Open up any text/document editor such as notepad or wordpad
2) type a single word (must be a known word, no punctuation).
3) highlight the whole word and CTRL+C
4) launch word 2000
5) CTRL+V
6) press HOME to take you to the start of the line
7) type I
8) hit the space bar

this consistenly crashes word 2000 for me, and i get the following error
message:

DDE Server Window: WINWORD.EXE - Application Error
The instruction at "0x3076a63e" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "read".

I am running:
Win2K 5.00.2195
Word 2000 9.0.3821 SR-1

Hi Oliver

I'm unsure exactly what the character is in (7), but I went with 1, I
and | and didn't reproduce the problem under a Windows 4.10.2222.A
(98SE) box running Office 2K Premium (9.0.2720)

Cheers

I doubt that this would be exploitable, but I thought I'd find out if
any of you could reproduce it.

Thanks
Oliver.