Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: terminal weirdness?

From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz () CSH RIT EDU>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:10:04 -0500

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 11:46:04AM -0500, Systems Administrator wrote:

Perhaps this is an old tool I am thinking of that no longer works,
but I was wondering if anyone has used this technique in their pen tests?

I've managed to get random characters appeear as user input by catting
binary files trough /dev/tty's to user terminals, can't say that much more
about it though.

Are you sure they're really random?  It's not uncommon for random data to
contain, e.g., ASCII 14 (SO) which often changes the character set of the
terminal and makes things like the user's terminal type (being echoed back in
response to an ENQ) look like random garbage.

--
 - mdz