Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Crack Office XP

From: "Ryan Permeh" <ryan () eEye com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:51:51 -0700

as someone who ported a raw packet library to winnt systems over a year ago,
i seriously doubt that raw sockets pose any threat to the internet that
wasn't already there.  the things you should watch out for are the new xp
centric features, like a built in pcanywhereish remote administration
feature, and potentially having iis on every desktop, home or corporate.

xp offers a lot more in the way of security than 9x/me ever did, it offers
much more functionality, and to say that adding better apis already
availible in a hackable functionality is a bad thing is ridiculous.  people
who want this functionality, for bad or good reasons, already have it.  this
just marginally makes it easier...

i'd trade a microkernel TCB based sacl/dacl system's benefits over any
potential risk that raw sockets could ever pose.

if you want to define the threat here, get on the isp's to enforce egress
spoofing filtering.  when i worked at an isp, we did it on all of our
borders, it's not hard, it doesn't realisticly reduce performance, and
acheives the effect that people want by dropping raw sockets, without
removing that functionilty.  Raw sockets offer a potentially much higher
degree of control over your network. yes, it allows spoofing, but it also
allows people to write their own better protocols without having to hack in
kmode, or write tdi filters.
Signed,
Ryan Permeh
eEye Digital Security Team